20 Jan 2012

Backlighting pictures

Long time no see - kinda been busy with relatives and decorating!

So today I thought I would try something new, taking a picture using back lit screen.  I had read about it in twitter yesterday - using a light behind a screen to bring out more detail in flowers.  However, not sure that I totally achieved that as I had no flowers to let the light shine through but it was fun trying.

Below is the equipment set up taken with my iPhone.


As can be seen - the equipment is very basic - a roll of wall paper as the screen drapped over the back of the chair and secured with a school book, the back light is an angle light under the chair and pointed upwards, the camera is at least set up on the tripod and therefore enabling me to shoot using different aperture and speed settings.  There was quite a difference between the shots that were backlit and those not.  However there was also the effects of depth of focus which came into play today.  Below are a few of the images that I took.  Some have been altered in Picasa to create a better finish.



This is one not back lit before shooting.  The details are f/22 for 1/2 sec




This is the same picture played with in Picasa - highlighted in sepia tones



This work is backlit which gives more warmth to the image.  The details are f/4.5 for 1/40 sec.



This is slightly altered again in Picasa giving a different tone to the image.


The images below of a different seedhead show the effect of the aperture setting very clearly.


This image is taken using a higher aperture setting f/20 for 1/2 sec.  All of the image is in focus.



This image taken with the aperture set at f/3.2 for 1/125 sec.  As can be seen only the foreground is in focus.


I like the effect of back light in photographs, I use it outside in particular when the sun is shining I endeavour to capture images with the suns light shining through.  Hope that you enjoyed reading this very basic information blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.